Frankenquester unraveling: DHS official 'retires' over release of illegals
It didn't a lot of brains to call out the administration for releasing illegal aliens from prison and then blame budget cuts that hadn't even occurred yet. The author of this edition of Obama scaremongering over the sequester - DHS's Gary Mead, executive associate director over enforcement and removal operations at ICE, "retired" immediately after the story broke.
The senior Homeland Security Department official in charge of arresting and deporting illegal immigrants announced his retirement the same day the agency said that hundreds of people facing deportation had been released from immigration jails due to looming budget cuts, according to a letter obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press. The government said he had told his bosses weeks ago that he planned to retire.
Gary Mead, executive associate director over enforcement and removal operations at Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, disclosed his departure in an email to his staff Tuesday afternoon. The announcement of the release of the illegal immigrants had come earlier in the day.
President Barack Obama's spokesman, Jay Carney, said Wednesday that the decision to release the immigrants was made without any input from the White House. He described the immigrants as "low-risk, non-criminal detainees."
The announcement that a few hundred illegal immigrants were being released was among the most significant and direct implications described so far by the Obama administration about the pending, automatic budget cuts that will take effect later this week under what is known as sequestration.
Republicans in Congress quickly criticized the decision and pressed the Homeland Security Department for details.
In an email to his staff obtained by the AP, Mead said he was leaving the agency at the end of April "with mixed emotions." He did not say what prompted his departure. Mead did not immediately respond to an email and a telephone call.
Don't ya love Carney? "Low risk, non criminal" detainees. They wouldn't be in jail if they didn't break the law, Jay so stop spinning what DHS was really trying to accomplish; scare people with visions of waves of brown people descending on their towns after being released due to budget cuts.

Again, DHS has yet to explain why they had to be relased before the sequester took effect on Friday. If not to put political pressure on Republicans, then what?
Finally, the press is starting to ask some questions about Obama's claims. How far they'll go is another question, but poking holes in Obama's sequester nonsense can only help.
FOLLOW US ON
Recent Articles
- Sitting Down for the 'College Talk'
- Trump’s Tariffs Will Not Cause Inflation
- The Republican Off-Cycle Election Challenge
- Cory Booker and an MS-13 Massacre
- Disentangle from Europe
- No Evidence Aired in the Media? No Duty. No Apologies.
- What’s the Real Target of the Assault on Tesla?
- MAGA: Progress, Not Perfection
- Saving American Culture through ‘Counter-Spoliation’
- Anecdotes from the Time of Autism
Blog Posts
- A simple question on trade
- Brace for more astroturf as pre-planned protests ‘spring to life’ this weekend
- To cut your tariff, buy American stuff
- The EU attempts to control the world economy -- again
- Liberation Day vs. double standards
- The mauling of NPR
- Snow Edsel White?
- In San Diego, Supervisor Jim Desmond sounds the alarm about Tijuana sewage fouling the county's beaches
- Jasmine Crockett concedes she was a DEI hire, admitting ‘no experience’
- California still hasn’t economically recovered from 2020—but it’s a ‘pandemic hangover’, not Democrat policy!
- Cory Booker’s ‘pretty stunning biological feat’ was a pathetic charade
- With the border secure, Trump cleans up Biden’s excesses on parole, TPS
- Baptists and Bootleggers
- Trump’s tariffs are all about putting America first after decades of exploitation
- The Dragon slips the spotlight